Thursday, January 17, 2008

We Love Cookies

There's really nothing interesting going on over here right now, but I wanted to post something. Too bad Alex was eating his cookies at school when this picture was taken, because really this is one of the Ritchie family's favorite things to do. I wish I could say we loved carrots or broccoli or something like that. But we just don't, and in this foreign place, we actually just like cookies even more. I eat way too many cookies, and at least one day last week, I even let my kids eat a cookie for breakfast. So there. The only thing we like better is cookie dough :) I'm looking at this picture and realizing how much my kiddos have grown recently. They've all changed in the last week. Emma's hair is longer and her face has "grown up" again. Same with the other three. As they continue to grow bigger and more beautiful, I continue to get more grey hair! Not cool.
I liked this picture of Ivy because it captures one of her special talents. She can put on a sweet face and appear completely innocent in a matter of seconds. This is not her actual personality. As soon as the flash went off, she was actually trying to rip the camera out of my hand so that she could see! She's a pistol, and I wouldn't have it any other way! Plus, I think this child's hair grows at an amazing rate of speed. There's actually a portion of those little braids that isn't braided at the top-it's what's grown in over the past two weeks. She's my baby doll :)

Oh, I am enjoying reading some of the juvenile fiction books that Joe has in his library. I'm kind of going down memory lane picking up books I read when I was in school. I just read My Side of the Mountain. I haven't read that in years! I take a fair amount of teasing for this, but I have to say that when you're busy and super tired, go ahead and read the stuff your second grader is bringing home! I actually learn a lot from the juvenile non-fiction and have fun occasionally escaping into a simple, quick read. I convinced Alex to trade me Johnny Tremain for My Side of the Mountain, yeah! That's been one of my favorites since like 5th grade. At least I'm reading something :) Which reminds me...Emma is doing great with home school! I hope she'll be able to return to school next year, but for now this is working out well for her. I've been really worried that I'm not doing a good enough job, but today I realized that she's made a lot of progress. My Emma is writing words and sounding things out. This is such a big deal for her!!! I'm very proud of her and all that she has overcome. I think that tomorrow I'll post some of her worksheets. She actually has pretty good handwriting, and I am really enjoying the experience of seeing her understand things that I am teaching her.

Well, now I am just rambling, so I'm outta here for tonight!

6 comments:

My Many Coloured Days said...

Sarah - What happened to your last post? It disappeared! My week is such that I could relate to that one much better than this sweet one!!! Emma HAS grown up. Wow! Of course the Ritchie's love cookies, that's one of the first things I remember from when we first met you guys... and beyond! I'm only sorry I don't know your little fireball Ivy at all. I promise to email you back... someday :)

Shawny said...

Hi Sarah! I was wondering about the last post too. I read it and was thinking of how I'd like to comment. When I came back, it was gone. I second the love for cookie dough! I don't even care that I'm eating raw eggs...as Steve always points out! You're kids are adorable, and I love to see pictures of Ivy. She was so little when you guys left!

singin'mama said...

Oh my goodness how time flies! Especially when you're not there to see it. Your kids are so big and so sweet. Ivy's head of curls is too much! Don't get too discouraged about whether or not you're doing a good job homeschooling Emma. I firmly believe that there should be no timeline put on learning. I would love to recommend an amazing book that I literally just finished yesterday called, "A Thomas Jefferson Education". You can find it on Amazon. It has completely changed my whole perspective and paradigm of what a real education is. I'm so glad I found your blog! It's so good to be in touch with you again!

jamie said...

HI Sarah, Tami gave me your blog info. Your family is so sweet looking. I will give you my email jamieclapp@gmail.com in case your not sure who I am it's me Jamie Clapp. We love cookies too. I don't as much I should but both kids will eat a cookie over any other dessert. Keep in touch. I love hearing from people from the past. Makes me feel young. What is going on in your life. Looks like you are in a new place.

singin'mama said...

Sarah, I have so enjoyed getting caught up with you and your little family. All those big brown eyes! They are all so big. Time sure flies especially when you're not there! To glad to be back in touch with you again.

Unknown said...

Hey Sarah! It must be a Skelton thing...Jared asked me the other day if we had any dessert to which I told him "no". He was in shock and replied, "but we always at least have cookies! You make them like every day!" And, as you know, my kids eat them as religeously as I do..which is a little scary! :) I love you! And Ivy's hair is so gorgeous! She is looking more and more like Ethan. Miss you guys!

2 Timothy 1:7

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."