Monday, January 28, 2008

"We Thank Thee, Oh God, For a Prophet



I couldn't let today go by without saying my "thank you" and "good bye" to President Hinckley. I am happy for him...to be with Sister Hinckley again. I imagine there are many at the reunion in the spirit world right now welcoming him back. It's an interesting time when our Church President passes away. I feel a bit sad to think that we won't see his, or so many other, familiar faces anymore. But then there's also an excited, secure feeling. I know that the brethren will convene in the temple to appoint his successor soon. I know that they have the authority to do this and that our new prophet will keep the revelation for the church flowing, uninterrupted. I am thankful today to have had my life blessed by President Hinckley's work. Especially his temple building and his challenge to read the Book of Mormon. I have been able to attend the temple in each place I have lived because of him. I have a renewed appreciation for the Book of Mormon, but mostly an invaluable lesson learned about following the prophet. When I read his challenge in the Ensign to finish the Book by the end of the year 2006, I remember thinking that I didn't have time to do it. And immediately I thought, "if I can't follow such simple instruction, what does that say about me?" Needless to say, I did it, and I learned some things about myself for having done it. He was a man that we could relate to, and I love him. So I thank Heavenly Father for Gordon B. Hinckley, and for all of the great men who have led His church, and I look forward to living during the presidency of his successor. I know this church is true.

4 comments:

My Many Coloured Days said...

Your thoughts are beautiful Sarah. Thank you.

JGA said...

The only "tribute" I've read about President Hinckley's passing is yours, and your testimony is the most beautiful, simple and appropriate expression of love and gratitude for this humble man of God. I think he would prefer for us all to remember the ways he helped us grow closer to the Savior and our Heavenly Father instead of noting all of his important dates and accomplishments. He wants us to look toward the future, to the next prophet with the same admiration, love, support and faith that he felt. This church is true, and it really is comforting to know that all is well. I feel your strength and testimony the way you share your thoughts and feelings so perfectly. We ALL are blessed by you!!! I love you! Mel

Cyndy said...

I too appreciate your expression of gratitude for our prophet Gordon B Hinckley. I also share your feelings about the joy that must be felt in heaven as this faithful son of God returns having served faithfully his whole life. I am sure that our next prophet will be equally as valiant and that we will grow to love him as we follow his teachings. I too know that this church is true and am so grateful to have had a chance to hear it in this life thru missionaries. We are all so very blessed.

lani said...

Thank you, Sarah. You expressed how I feel, too, and I thank you for sharing your testimony and thoughts. President Hinckley always brought out the best in all of us--encouraging us to stand a little taller, do a little better, just one day at a time, and I will always be grateful for the influence he has had on my life.

2 Timothy 1:7

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."